Hello Beloved Readers, and Happy 2018! I’ve missed you, but it was wonderful to give myself permission to unplug, letting the blog world responsibilities slide for a few days…
And now I’m tip-toeing back, with a relaxed smile on my face.
For I’ve survived another Christmas season. Every year I feel my anxiety start to climb mid-December, then welcome a huge sense of relief once the actual day is done. I think it’s inherited; somewhere there’s a classic family photo from the 80’s of 3 generations of us, opening presents on a dull English Xmas morning, while literally everyone looks grumpy.
I was very Australian on Dec 25: I went to the beach, slathered in sunscreen, and swam in crystal aqua water. My 2 friends and I sat in shade under trees, pledging to continue dismantling Capitalism & Patriarchy in 2018, then went home to siesta, because it’s so exhausting.
New Year’s Eve was way more fun, mostly because I had my first one off for YEARS. Usually I’m on stilts somewhere, adding to the atmosphere, and staying in ‘work mode’ as we negotiate nightmare parking, heavy, sweaty costumes, and drunken crowds.
This year though, I was a ‘normal’ person. I relaxed during the day, had my requisite nana nap, and drove to a friend’s house to get ready. Crackers with dips, funky music, girly giggles- such novelty for me. Then I went to a big Queer and fabulous dance party, danced like a demon in my cute dress, gazed in delight at the midnight fireworks, yet was tucked up in bed by 2am.
A perfect end to a surprising year, and an auspicious way to welcome in the new one I hope.
Have you made any resolutions? I’ve made two important ones:
- Get my heart cardio fit- more regular dancing, more fast beach walks, more hill climbs
- Get my blog cardio fit- insert some kind of skeleton of topics and posting schedules, so that readers get what they want, when they want it (& skip guilt-free over the subjects they’re not that interested in)
I’m gonna try this system for the next 6 months, then we’ll review it OK?
- ‘Me Mondays’: personal posts/online dating/romance/relationships
- ‘Teenager Tuesdays’: those micro, humorous true tales of my terrific teenage son and his unique view
- ‘World Wednesdays’: social commentary/politics/a response to a global situation or event
- ‘Random or Reblog Thursdays’: either something unexpected that cropped up, or a re-blog from one of the many wonderful writers I follow, and feel moved to share with you all
- ‘Fiction Friday’– serialised short stories I’ve written in the past, no more than 500 words, or new pieces I’m working on
- WEEKENDS OFF- real life, away from screens and social media
I hope I don’t sound too organised? I do reserve the right to drop all that entirely of course, if something dramatic happens, or if I start to feel too constrained or stressed by it. I’m experimenting with both discipline and play, to see if they can flourish together. Although if I get too many gigs as a Cloud for example, or being Red again in our kids’ show, I may just let it all float away…
But for now, here we go into bone&silver2018– and I’m so happy to have you all along for the ride.
In gratitude for the companionship, G xO