Dearest H- I know you love these ‘Cinnamon Sweetie’ buns, dontcha? If I’d met you at a party somewhere, I’d have seen that you too wore a thin but effective layer of protection, like a brown paper bag. I’d have noticed it was fragile, yet also strong.
I’d have wondered what hid inside.
But now I know. Or rather, I’ve begun to discover.
And thus we continue to unravel each other, past the thin edges, sometimes a bit burnt, or a little brittle.
Circling round, through the spices and sugar, with the odd grain of salt.
Spiralling closer, moving deeper in.
Slowly but surely, just like a Snail likes.
1 more sleep; see you at the airport xx
[The story so far:
- Met online. Emailed and sent comics & stories back and forth for 3 months
- Texted, but no phone calls (although we did send various selfies)
- Met outside Flinders St train station in Melbourne, Dec 21
- Have been flying to see each other approx once a month ever since, for 5-6 days
- The longest gap has been just over 6 weeks- 45 sleeps. That was hard.
- ‘Good morning’ & ‘Good night’ texts are pretty daily, plus many in between texts too
- Sometimes we have romantic Skype dates, where we dress up and flirt
- We’re both artists, and have our own homes, small businesses, and social networks where we live, 1600kms apart; I also have a 17-year old I need to get through his last year of school.
So for now, this monthly rhythm is how we do it: counting Sleeps.]